Honest and Comprehensive Nutrisystem Review
Nutrisystem is a complete weight loss program and delivery service that has been helping thousands of people lose weight since 1972. Users get ready-to-eat meals, nutrient-rich protein shakes delivered, and supportive online community to help staying on track, which is the most important part.
How does this system work?
The main idea of this plan is give you an easy system to enjoy life and eat all the things you love while losing weight effortlessly. Meals come fully prepared and only need heating up or defrosting. You can choose from over 150 different meals and create a diet that you will have no trouble staying with in a long run. Most importantly, you won’t have to count calories and worry about nutrients because everything is done for you.
Most meals don’t contain any preservatives or trans-fats and have low sodium. This means that even diabetic consumers can take advantage of this plan. Some vegetarian options are also available.
The reason why this diet is so loved is a fact that no meals are out of limit, you just have to eat a bit healthier options of what you already like. Most diets fail because eliminating some items from the diet just doesn’t work long time for many people. In fact, there is only one thing that is off limits – alcohol.
All meals contain different ingredients, but some things are universal across all choices, such as protein and healthy fats. Let’s take a look at the main nutrient guidelines:
Protein is vital for our health as we have it in every cell of our body. Protein is used by our bodies every day for cell repairing and helping with digestion. We wouldn’t survive long without this building block. No weight loss is possible without protein, which helps maintain lean muscles and burn more fat. When you eat protein-rich foods, your body needs more energy digesting them and thus you burn more calories. While the digestion is happening, you feel full longer without the desire to eat and overeat.
Fiber helps curb your appetite, it is heart-healthy, and aids in losing weight. Foods high in fiber include some vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Such foods are not easy for your body to digest, so you will stay full longer and avoid sudden blood sugar rises and falls.
This is good carbs from vegetables and grains, which covert into glucose sugar to support your body functions. Complex carbohydrates are hard to digest and so they are released to your blood stream slowly, preventing blood sugar spikes and low energy in between. This also keeps diabetes at bay.
The things not included in this plan are fresh produce, veggies, and fruit, because dieters should make a trip to their grocery store and buy them fresh. Same goes for dairy products.
Overall the meals consist of 50% of carbohydrates, 25% fat, and 25% protein – all that while having fewer calories that people normally consume. Sound easy, right?
There are some ingredients and foods that are completely forbidden by Nutrisystem:
- Corn syrup
- Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives
- Starchy vegetables
- Trans/saturated fats
- Added sugars
What plans are available?
- Basic plan – Lean13 program includes meals, shakes, and snacks that will help you lose 13 or so pounds per month. You will get 3 meals per day, a shake, and a snack (2 for men). All the meals are picked by Nutrisystem professionals and cost $9.40 per day for women and $11.61 for men. For $1 extra per day you can customize your meal plan.
- The Core plan – you can choose from more foods with this plan and have access to dieticians and counselors for help and advice. The price starts at $10.22 per day.
- Uniquely Yours plan – you can choose from all 150 meals and pay $12.50 for women and $13.93 for men per day.
- Uniquely Yours Plus – same as Uniquely Yours + one shake per day. Women - $13.93, men - $15.36.
- Vegetarian plan – all food options are vegetarian. Women - $12.50, men - $13.93.
- Diabetes Basic Plan – offers low-glycemic foods that will lower blood sugar for weight loss. $10.18 per women and $11.61 for men.
- Diabetes Core Plan – extra frozen meal options - $12.50 for women and $13.93 for men per day.
- Diabetes Uniquely Yours plan – your choice of 145 meals, including frozen options. $12.50 for women and $13.93 for men.
Nutrisystem recommends eating frequent small meals, every 2-3 hours, which makes 4-5 meals per day with snacks. Every customer gets an eating out guide to enjoy life without limiting oneself with just delivery foods.
One extra useful tool the company offers to everybody is their DNA Body Blueprint Kit. For $99.99 you can find out how your genetic make-up will affect your weight loss and metabolism, allowing you to get a plan tailored just for you for better and faster results.
The Nutrisystem website has plenty of valuable extra tools to help you along the way, such as BMI calculator, fitness guidelines, food log, weight tracker, shopping list tool, research, lifestyle tips, dieticians, live chat, FAQs, and much more.
The company was started by Harold Katz in 1972 as a brick and mortar establishment, but in 1990s the current online direct-to-consumer model was adapted with much success and it looks like it’s here to stay.
We love the fact that this diet is highly customizable and is not meant to fit all. Dieters don’t have to starve to lose weight, which ensures success. The program starts with “Turbo Takeoff”, which allows losing a huge amount of weight the first month, and then the maintenance kicks in, during which you will be losing 1-2 pounds per week for as long as you need to reach your weight loss goal.
What are some meal examples?
- Nutrisystem blueberry muffin
- Granola cereal
- Cinnamon rolls
- Loaded potato
- Arroz con Pollo
- Cheddar broccoli rice
- Red beans and rice
- Chicken pasta parmesan
- Grilled sausage and peppers
- Salisbury steak and mac & cheese
- Tuna casserole
- Apple pecan bites
- Oatmeal cookies
- White cheddar popcorn
- Pizza snack-a-rounds
You will have to buy your own produce, milk, and yogurt to enhance your diet with these fresh products.
One important thing about this program – the caloric intake per day is very low, especially at first, so it might be hard to adjust. The first week you will be consuming around 1,000 calories per day to jump start your weight loss. Later women will have about 1,200 and men 1,500 daily calories from Nutrisystem meals.
What are some Nutrisystem cons?
- There is a cancellation fee and you will have to be very careful about when to cancel
- Some people just don’t like pre-packaged foods and have trouble getting used to them
- Sodium and salt content is quite high to ensure preservation of ready-to-eat meals
- Not everybody likes the price
- Be careful about your pre-existing conditions before starting this diet and talk to your doctor
What are some Nutrisystme pros?
- Balanced meals and no calorie counting
- Low-glycemic index of meals
- You can eat everything
- Long shelf life
- Easy preparation
- Customizable meals
- Food and fitness tracking online
- Community support
- Access to dieticians and counselors
- Weight loss
- Meal delivery to your door
If we got you interested, give it a try and see if it can work for you. You can buy this complete program on their own website, some meals at Walmart, and occasional deals at Costco.