Summer heat is still here, but schools will come calling your kids’ names soon enough. Come August and parents embark on one of the biggest shopping sprees that produce new backpacks, clothing, shoes, and stationary to start the new school year in style. An average household spends about $510 per child, totaling close to $30 billion in consumer dollars overall.
Great discounts on school supplies can be found in August-September
Some of the biggest summer shopping holidays are already in the past, including Memorial Day and Amazon Prime, but the third, Back to School is no less important for customers and merchants alike. Deals continue to come up, with the peak expected during the Labor Day weekend.
Everything you need for school can buy at a discounted price
While many deals are already available and price comparison is encouraged, the general rule is that the closer you get to the beginning of school, the more deals you will be able to catch. Sizes and inventory might be reduced by then, but sales are often worth the risk.
Every day, discounts on thousands of school products
Read on to find out what do experts recommend and how to navigate the jungle that back-to-school shopping really is.
Materials and tools for many types of arts and crafts
What are best shopping strategies?
The best way to approach B2S shopping is to view it the same way you view Black Friday shopping – come prepared. If you want to win at shopping, you should have a budget and stick to it, compare prices, and shop around.
Books develop creative thinking
If you have a tight budget, spread it out and don’t let it hit you all at once. Also before leaving the house with your shopping list you should know your inventory at home. Don’t take little kids with you if you don’t need any side money-spending distractions.
School essential supplies
Where will you get the best ads?
Stores not only offer online ads
Sunday papers might be a thing of the past, except when it comes to B2S shopping. Online ads and in-app deals are not as good as old-fashioned ad ads. Stores like Target, Walmart, and Dollar Store will definitely have great coupons for clipping.
Low price on Cat & Jack Kids’ Clothing
Should you shop around?
Absolutely! One store might have good deals and convenience, but you will get more bang for your money if you will spread your spending between Target, Walmart, Staples, and the closest dollar store. You should also visit clearance sections and get discounted summer clothing that will still be perfect all the way through October in some states.
A wide range of stationery supplies for school
What items are discounted the most during B2S sales?
- Sneakers – Academy, Dick’s, and many other stores have 50% off
Sports footwear for school
- Student tech gear – Apple, Amazon, Best Buy, and will have discounts on laptops and headphones. You should compare computer capacities and online vs in-store prices. Pay extra attention to last year’s models for the best deals.
Alienware is known for its gaming laptops
- Binders and office supplies – all stationary products see great discounts in August, so offices and business owners can take advantage too, not just students. Check out Office Depot, OfficeMax, and your local dollar stores for B2S treasures.
B2S offers discounts not only for school
What items you should not get at this time?
- Backpacks and lunchboxes – these are your pricier items and the main money makers for merchants, so wait if you can and snag them at clearance prices a week into the school year. Keep in mind that all the stock will be pretty picked out by then, so you should not be picky.
Backpacks & lunch bags for school
- Fall clothing – fall and winter wardrobe will be on sale at the end of October, just in time for cooler weather, so shop for those fashion items then and get deep discounts. Shop at Macy’s, Sears, and Old Navy, among others, for great choices and prices.
Hurry up to buy kids’ clothes at the best prices
- Non-urgent student tech gear – if you have to have a new computer right now, fine, the deals are not too bad, but if you can wait a bit, do that. The new stocks arrive just in time for the holidays and the older models see the greatest discounts in October and September. Always do price comparison when shopping for electronics.
Cell phones, computers, and portable electronics at the best prices
- Calculators – those see best discounts on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Calculators at the best prices
What other advice can you use for B2S shopping?
Don’t buy a brand new computer if you don’t have to, and we are not talking about used and banged up. Just look at some refurbished models and you will see that they are as good as new, minus full price.
If you live in a state that participates in tax-free days, definitely take advantage of it. If you are in Texas, Maryland, or Connecticut in August, shop for clothing, footwear, and school supplies during tax-free days.
Let’s take a look at some discounts available for different items at different stores throughout the summer:
- Amazon – 30% off select backpacks
- Kohl’s – 70% designer backpacks
- Land’s End – 60% off select backpacks
- Nordstrom Rack – 50% off
- PBTeen – 25-50% off
- Walmart – backpacks start at $9
- American Eagle – 25% off jeans
- Gap – 40-50% off sale
GAP merchandise on sale
- Land’s End – 40% off
- Old Navy – $30 Score sneakers
- New Balance – $5.50 clothing items
Computers and electronics
MacBook Pro – Apple
- Amazon – $50 off laptops
- Overstock – $20 off Apple Airpods
- Staples – 50% off laptops
Computers & tables at Staples
College and dorm décor
- Dormify – 90% off clearance collections
- Kohl’s – 28% off Big One Glitter Pom Inflatable Chair
JoJo Siwa bedding
- Overstock – 70% off bedding and bath
- PBTeen – 50% off select bedding and bedroom furniture
- Pier 1 – 20% off bedroom furniture
Haworth bedroom furniture on sale