I recently ordered and enjoyed quite a few beauty subscription boxes. I wanted to change-up my beauty routine and without spending too much time and money get some new trendy products that would be picked by experts.
I am not very good at shopping for makeup and skincare, so I definitely like to get a ton of stuff right to my doorstep.
I have recently tried FabFitFun, GlossyBox, Macy’s Beauty Box, and Birchbox. Now if that doesn’t make me a bit of an expert on subscription boxes, I don’t know what would! Testing and trying new services like that is really beneficial because you can often find coupons for free first box or at least get them heavily discounted. I definitely enjoy saving whenever I can, so I gladly took an opportunity or two to do so.
Today I would like to talk about Birchbox and Macy’s Beauty Box. I love comparing those two because they are almost the same in terms of size, price, and offerings inside.
Both Macy’s Box and Birchbox cost $15 on a month-to-month rate. Birchbox offers savings if signing up for a long-term service – 6 or 12 months. In that case each monthly box is only $12. Macy’s Beauty Box includes $10 coupon for any beauty purchase, which can be considered as $10 savings if you really spend it. I don’t like taking time and money for beauty needs, so the coupon wouldn’t be very useful for me.
Birchbox offered one free mystery box coupon for first time customers, which I gladly accepted, so I essentially I saved $15 by getting one extra free box. I totally agree with this type of savings, when I don’t have to spend money just to save a small percentage.
Now let’s examine each box closer, stating with Macy’s Beauty Box:
- The first thing I saw in the box was that $10 coupon with a personalized code.
- Sparkling and shining silver cosmetics bag – a total bonus that other beauty subscriptions don’t do. I am using it as a holder for all the products I got in this box and for traveling.
- Makeup drop – full size silicone applicator with glitter inside. I know this product is very trendy now and every woman should have one, so now I do.
- Pur Mineral Glow Skin Perfecting powder – this powder is medium shade to work for many complexions. It has a slight glow and is perfect for everyday wear or a party.
- Elizabeth Arden Vitamin C Ceramide Capsules Serum – the little capsules contain liquid that can bring you your youth back. The container has enough for a few days if used in the morning and at night.
- Girlactick Full Size 3-in-1 sparkle – this lipstick looks good and sparkly, but is so soft that the tip breaks off and requires a special sharpener to sharpen, so not very practical.
- Grand Cosmetics Plumping Liquid Lipstick – I am not sure how much plumping does it do, but I do like the color.
- Carolina Herrera Good Girl Perfume – very refreshing smell that I could wear any time, but strong enough for a statement making.
- Paco Rabanne Invictus Legend – strong scent of geranium, laurel wood, and red amber.
See more Macy’s Promotions:
- Up to 80% OFF Select Items
- Free Shipping with $75 Purchase
- Free Store Pickup
I love the fact that Macy’s Beauty Box includes more items than Birchbox for the same price, and 3 of them were full size – the bag, the lipstick, and the makeup drop. Birchbox products were all small size. This means that Macy’s provides more value than Birchbox, making it a better buy money wise. But money is not always the bottom line for me. I also enjoy the luxurious products that Birchbox includes in its boxes, even if none of them are full size.
Let’s take a look at Birchbox:
- Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray – it smells amazing and makes the hair textured, but not stiff. I also love knowing that full size costs over $60 – a valuable little sample.
- Marcelle Xtension Plus Curl Mascara – this mascara works so well that I think it’s better than my Dior Show mascara for $30.
- ModelCo More Brows Fibre Gel – even though my eyebrows are permanently done with micro-shading, I still enjoyed trying this product and making my eyebrows a bit darker and more defined.
- Number 4 Lumiere d’hiver Clarifying Shampoo – I wash my hair every day and can definitely use any good quality shampoo I get my hands on.
- Pai Chamomile & Rosehip Calming Day Cream – the cream not only smells divine, but also calms the skin and evens out the tone.
- Number 4 Lumiere d’hiver Reconstructing Masque – my hair can definitely use some rejuvenation after constant coloring.
See more Birchbox Discounts:
- Free Gift
- 15% OFF Your Order
- Free Extra Grooming Box
While I like all Birchbox products, I wish they would come in regular sizes, at least some of them. But at the same time I don’t want to pay more, so this is how it is. If I had to pick one box over another I think I would have to go with Macy’s Beauty Box because they sent more items, some full size ones, and a $10 coupon. When it comes to the fanciness of products, Birchbox would probably win.