FabFitFun or BirchBox
Sometimes it’s hard to compare things apples to apples. This is one of those times as I am going to attempt to compare Birchbox and FabFitFun Annual membership boxes. There are some similarities between the two, but mainly I see differences.
Let’s talk about what is similar first:
- They both are subscription boxes and can be bought on a month-to-month basis or through 6-12 month sign-up. Quarterly basis for FabFitFun.
- They both cost less with multiple month membership.
- They both are women oriented, even though lately both started offering boxes for men, which is also a similarity.
Opening BirchBox once a month can bring exciting brands, like this Oribe sample
- Both have websites where full size products or extra products can be bought and shipped with monthly boxes for free.
- And finally, they both include health and beauty items.
- I can also add that I am looking forward to both of them.
Marlo is ready for the next monthly BirchBox
Now let’s take a look at the list of differences:
- FabFitFun comes once in three months, Birchbox – every month.
- FabFitFun has full size products while Birchbox delivers sample sizes.
Lovely samples of Nest perfume from BirchBox
- FabFitFun is more expensive than Birchbox.
- Birchbox is only about beauty and health, but FabFitFun includes health, makeup, lifestyle, fitness, fashion, and home items.
Small, but potent from Nest, Avene, and OUAI
- FabFitFun includes more items in each box.
- FabFitFun includes various coupons from other services, Birchbox does not.
- FabFitFun includes a magazine, Birchbox – does not.
FabFitFun reading materials smell good
I think I can find even more differences, but these are enough to prove my point – the boxes are quite different and thus have to be compared like oranges to apples. Keep in mind that what I receive in my yearly subscription FabFitFun box is more than month-to-month subscribers’ boxes include.
FabFitFun winter materials are heart warming
Because I know how different both services are, I have my expectations adjusted. Otherwise I would be very disappointed when opening Birchbox after FabFitFun and discovering tiny samples. Granted, I love full size products, but with Birchbox I don’t have to pay for them until I try them and know what I will like and use. Once I know that, I can go to birchbox.com and order full size stuff.
BirchBox doesn’t disappoint with amazing brands
I have to say that products that come in Birchbox are often more expensive than the ones I find in FabFitFun. This probably is determined by price and by brands. FabFitFun features many up and coming brands that are young and innovative, but maybe not very famous and established just yet, which is how they can get full size items at relatively low cost.
Aveda, Cuccio, SkinVolve, and Human + Kind are just a few from FabFitFUn
Cost is a big factor for FabFitFin, as a box costs just $49.95, while combined total of all items bought separately would be over $200, sometimes even over $300! Birchbox costs $15, but about $12 if you sign up for a long period of time. The total value of all the samples is hard to determine, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s no more than $40.
Oribe can be delivered to your home too, just ask BirchBox
I have to admit that little sample sizes can accumulate in my bathroom drawers and not all of them get used up, which creates permanent clutter, but again, I can get rid of stuff I don’t use if I want and order only what I like from the website. Ordering I would spend money on top of my $12 monthly payments, which in three months becomes $36, making it close to FabFitFun’s $49.95 and I still don’t have anything full size. In my opinion, FabFitFun provides more value for the money.
My first FabFitFun is where the love began
Let’s take a quick look at what was included in the latest BirchBox and FabFitFun boxes.
- Rebecca Minkoff Marled Beanie & Armwarmer Set ($70) – very stylish and I use it all the time walking my dog in the morning.
Rebecca Minkoff hat and fingerless glove set was my main accessory this winter
- Unhide Lil’ Marshmallow blanket ($65) – love it on my bed during evening reads if my dog doesn’t steal it first.
FabFitFun cares about my coziness with this Hide faux fur blanket
- LashesMD Eyelash Conditioner ($69.95) – I don’t use it nearly enough because I always forget, but it feels great every time I do put it on.
Even gnomes can use some LashesMD solution from FanFitFun winter 2019 box
- Adore by Swarowski Organic Circle Bracelet in Rose Gold ($39) – it has been on my hand for over a month now, I never take it off and get all kinds of compliments.
Adore bracelet has been on my wrist ever since
- Battington Lashes Monroe 3D Silk Lashes + Glue Kit ($32) – I am not a fake lashes kind of gal, so those didn’t get used yet and will probably be a gift to someone.
Fantastic lashes from FabFitFun were gifted to my friend
- Paper Source 12 Month Rose Floral Planner ($27) – this is the year when I will keep track of what is happening in my life and will write all my appointments down.
2020 planner from PaperSource can be purchased on their website any time
- Ahava Salt Bag ($16) – because of those salts I took my first soaking bath in 3 years and it felt wonderful.
Ahava bath salts encouraged me to try my bathtub for the first time since moving here three years ago
- Cuccio Somatology Calm & Clean Epsom Salt Hand and Body Wash ($39.95) – I use it before bed every night, it smells great, and is soft on my skin.
Cuccio shower gel was thoroughly enjoyed in the shower
- Drybar Prep Rally Prime & Prep Detangler ($23) – I am still going to use it when I decide that the occasion is big enough and worthy of my curled hair.
Prep Rally hair detangling and conditioning solution from FabFitFun
- $90 Hello Fresh gift card coupon.
Good reads and even better Hello Fresh coupons from FabFitFun/20off.com
- $15 off First FabFitFun Box coupon for a friend.
- 40% OFF Beauty Box + Free Shipping with code FUTURE
- 20% OFF Your Purchase with code WEGOTYOU
- Avene Hydrance Intense Rehydrating Serum ($38 if bought full size) – small, but potent. It feels and smells amazing.
BirchBox contents on the shelf
- Klorane Anti-Fade Shampoo with pomegranate ($20 for full size) – it really does smell like fresh pomegranates and works great with my colored hair.
Klorane pomegranate facial products from BirchBox
- Klorane Conditioner ($20 full size) – love the scent and the silky hair I get after using this conditioner.
- Lipstick Queen Lip Liner in nude ($18 for full size) – I usually don’t use lip pencils, but this nude color can work for me.
Little lipstick is the bomb from BirchBox
- Nest Frangrances Dahlia & Vines Parfum ($72 for full size) – very strong and heavier than I like, calls for a party.
- OUAI Rose Hair and Body Oil ($32 for full size) – I have oily skin, so I might not spray it all over my face and back, but I sure like it on my winter dry hands and legs.
OUAI rose hair and skin oil from BirchBox
- 15% OFF Beauty Box with code TAKE15
- Free Gift with code DOUBLEFUN
After looking at prices, I have to take my works back about FabFitFun products being cheaper than full size Birchbox items. Actually it’s the opposite, at least from the latest boxes.
All in all, I am a big FabFitFun fan and I think I will remain that in the future. I know people sometimes have complaints about quarterly boxes that they pay per box, but I am an annual member and get my boxes full to the brim and earlier than others. Birchbox introduces me to interesting products, but getting full sizes requires ordering online and spending more money, so I am not very likely to do that. Sample size items often stay around for too long unused and get in the way. Given all that my vote goes to FabFitFun!